With the way the world is going nowadays with climate change and global warming, economic turmoil and instability and wars, families all over should prepare for the worst and have the basic necessities that would aid in their survival.
Among anything else, the first things that you should ready are the food supplies you and your family will consume during desperate times. Aside from the economy, you also have to be ready for any calamity nature may lash at you so it would be wise for you to prepare for catastrophes whether man made or otherwise. The government will surely extend its hand during disasters but it may take some time and with the way the current economic situation, you cannot rely so much on it.
A lot of people think that food supply will never run out and there is still an abundance of it. But the truth is farm lands have been converted to subdivisions and golf courses and the government is scampering to find other sources of food supply amidst all the other problems on its hands. Food supply and its storage are very important during economic crisis, wars, unemployment and disasters. Apart from having enough supply of food, you should also know how to store them properly in order for the food to last according to their expected duration.
To help you prepare for such circumstances, take a look at the following food preparation tips:
- Find the most suitable place in your house where you can store your food supply. It has to be cool and dry and free from insects and house pests. It would also be better if you clean the area including the shelves and its walls before you place your food supplies.
- Keep staple food and ingredients such as grains, salt, sugar, flour, milk and agricultural products that do not easily perish such as onions, potatoes, carrots, garlic and others.
- Store food items that you and your family enjoy having and be sure to know how to store and prepare them. If you are not sure how to do it, search the process through the internet or read books for the steps.
- Always on the watch for expiry dates. If the food item is about to expire, consume them immediately then replace them with a new stock. Always keep an inventory of what you have, what your family needs and what needs to be replaced.
- Budget is always an important consideration. Purchase your food supplies for your stocks from wholesale markets such as salt, flour, sugar, oil and others. Whenever you get some grocery supplies, always purchase an extra can of food item until you have enough stocks that could last for days for the entire family.
- Inform your family where the food is stored and what you are going to do in case of crisis. Being well informed is part of your preparedness to any crisis or disasters and involving your family in the process will always prove fruitful and even fun especially for the kids.